Monday, June 21, 2010

Days 10-11: Burma, Cote d'Ivore v Brazil, Safari, Spain v Honduras

Alright, a lot to cover before I forget. 

Day 10: Burma Flea Market and The Big One

The day started off with stopping by the local flea market called "Burma World Shops" I believe.  After picking up all the small gifts for the fam, I splurged a little on myself and got the one souvenir I set out to get when I got here, a Djembe Drum.  For only R750 (about $100) I got a full size Djembe Drum.  Back in the states, these range from anywhere from $400 to $1,000. So pumped about it, and I'll probably start taking drum lessons when I get home so I can actually get use out of it and the congas/bongos I already have.

After finishing my schwarma at the market, we headed home and left early for Ivory Coast v. Brazil.  What a game.  Luis Fabiano is amazing in person, and seeing the likes of Kaka, Drogba, Toure, Robinho, and Maicon live ain't too shabby either.  It was my first true wow moment as I realized I was watching Brazil, the greatest international team ever, play live.  All I can say is wow.

Day 11: Safari and La Furia Roja

Today we woke up early, and after a great breakfast provided by our hosts, 7 of us set out on a mini safari with our tour guide, Joy.  As you can see from Colin's update, we saw a plethora of animals.  My personal highlights were seeing the rhinos that were 10 feet from us, literally petting a full grown cheetah named Eddie, and holding a baby white lion cub.  I'll post photos later, but easily one of the top non-soccer highlights of the trip.  Although all seven of us were crammed into a small SUV and Mitch fell asleep on me in the back big spoon style, it still was a great trip.

After that, we came home and got ready for Spain v. Honduras.  Spain is amazing.  Easily the most impressive team I've seen live so far.  The passes they put together are phenomenal, and the first David Villa goal rendered me speechless. 

Alright, that's it for now.  I'm not going to post any photos until I get back to the States so you'll see all the updates then.  Tomorrow, we'll explore JoBurg a little more and enjoy the games played tomorrow.  Last USA game is coming up Wednesday!

- Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment