Saturday, July 10, 2010

Cape Town / Durban / The Final Weekend

Monday we went up to Table Mountain in Cape Town pretty early, about 9am, but the visibility was poor as a thick cloud cover was over the city. So at the suggestion of the hostel, we hopped on the train and headed south about a half hour to a place called Kalk Bay, and ate at a delicious seafood restaurant right on the water.

Kalk Bay is a heavy fishing town, and people were buying boxes of lobster as soon as they were loaded onto the dock. We took the train back up to Cape Town in the afternoon, and since the weather had cleared up, we decided to make another trip to Table Mountain.

The line at this point was quite long, and we were concerned that they wouldn't allow us to go up since 5pm was the cutoff time. But we were one of the last groups to make it, and we took the lift up to the top of the mountain. Although it was somewhat cloudy, we were able to get some great views and pictures of Cape Town from the peak. We also got a nice sunset on the Atlantic Ocean.

Tuesday we spent the first part of the day in Clifton, an area about 15 minutes southwest of Cape Town (on the road to Cape Point). We were all pretty tired from having to wake up early and check out of the hostel, so after we attempted to get Bill to fall in the ocean while climbing rocks, we just laid around in the grass and in the car. Eventually we headed over to the Green Point area, where the stadium is. Had lunch and got to the game way too early. This was the first game where we knew we wouldnt be able to sit together, but it wasnt too bad. Ben had great seats right off midfield just 2 rows up, I was in the 2nd of 3 decks behind the goal, and Bill and Ron were just a row apart in the upper level at midfield. It was one of the better games of the tournament, with possibly the goal of the tournament by Van Bronckhorst.

We left with 5 minutes to play, so we didn't see Uruguay's last goal, but we had more important things to do, like catch a 2:25am flight to Durban.

In Durban we were pretty low key, our lodge was in Umdloti Beach (pronounced um-shlo-tee), about 20 minutes north of the city, but only 1 exit from the airport. We rested on Wednesday (it was cloudy), but we did get in the Indian Ocean for a little bit. Thursday we did much of the same, laid on the beach, ate good food, and Friday... yep pretty much the same.

Got up really early today (5am) to catch our flight to Johannesburg. We are back at the Humphrey's and are all very excited about the Final tomorrow between two excellent teams. My prediction? 2-0 a la Furia Roja.

No comments:

Post a Comment